What are you doing this summer?
Join Our Staff at Emma Kaufmann Camp and make a difference in the life of a child? EKC is an overnight camp for boys and girls operated by the Jewish Community Center of Greater Pittsburgh. As camp staff, you’ll have a summer you’ll never forget, meeting tons of new people while working with children in a recreational setting. Emma Kaufmann Camp is a place where you’ll learn a great deal about yourself and gain important skills for your resume including leadership, supervision and teamwork.
CLICK HERE for job descriptions, requirements and applications.
Great programs may keep our campers involved. Beautiful facilities may impress parents, but our staff makes the difference in the summer!
At Emma Kaufmann Camp, a ‘Happy Staff Member = A Happy Camper!”
Staff recruitment is a 365 day-a-year job. Not just during the summer, but throughout the school year, we communicate with our staff to remind them of the good times, keep them interested in what’s going on at camp so they can once-again sign up to work at camp the following year.
Additionally, we continuously train our staff to be the best they can be. This includes a variety of topics and discussions and “techniques” that we use with our staff each summer. Some of these techniques have come from professionals in the camping industry that we learn from on a yearly-basis, while others we have continued to develop over the years.
Our training throughout the year includes topics and ideas such as;
- GET TO KNOW EACH ONE OF YOUR CAMPERS!
- GET IN TO ROUTINES RIGHT AWAY!
- KEEP YOUR DIRECTIONS SIMPLE!
- TEACH YOUR CAMPERS HOW TO SHARE AND HAVE GRATITUDE
TRAINING DURING THE SUMMER
Training is designed to create a standard of professionalism. Our staff must take pride in their work and they must have a positive example to follow. It’s our job to plan and run programs intermittingly throughout the summer that provide context for their jobs and continue to challenge them to do their very best. These include;
- Lunch and learn with you
- Teamwork/Group Dynamics
- What kids think about/what is important to kids
- Effective Discipline
- Stress Management/Relaxation
- Introduction to full-time opportunities in the camping movement
- Building Role Models
- Head Staff In-Service
We also teach our staff about the Emma Kaufmann Camp “INGREDIENTS TO SUCCESS” which include;
- REALIZING YOUR POTENTIAL
- TALENT AND CREATIVITY
- CREATING BOUNDARIES
- ROLE MODELING
**While these can be looked at as “general thoughts,” they mean much more at Emma Kaufmann Camp. Our staff knows that these 12 ingredients can truly mean the key towards a successful summer for the children as well as for the staff as individuals, which allows “everyone to win!”
During the summer, we keep our staff happy to stay, not glad to leave. This includes;
- Schedule activities in camp at night
- Create a staff council (led by staff member devoted to staff programming) to oversee weekly meetings with representative from different staff divisions.
- Provide nightly snack for staff.
- Offer transportation for staff on their nights out/off nights.
- Assist staff with planning for days off/nights out
- Give staff access to internet and email
- Daily “lunch-and-learn” discussion groups with staff
- Raffles at weekly meetings
- Staff incentive programming to include;
- “Staff Doing Good” video
- Weekly staff newsletter
- Shout-out board
- Letter/notes of thanks in their mailbox or in their cabin
- Legacy program
- On-Going training w/ guest speakers to staff and help “re-energize.”
- Nighttime pool parties
- Friday night Shabbat/educational programming
- Sports leagues
- Participation in special staff events during Color War
- International Food Night
- Extended Nights Out
- Rock Paper Scissors Tournament
It is very important for you to know as much as possible about our staff, which includes how we select and how we train. This way, you will feel even more comfortable knowing that the people taking care of your child has as many “tools” as possible to make sure your child’s experience is the best it can possibly be.